Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

West Virginia = Heaven on Earth

We just returned from a weekend in "Wild and Wonderful" West Virginia for some much needed R&R.  We went wayyy up in the mountains to Davis, West Virginia, which just happens to be "the highest incorporated town in the State of West Virginia, with an elevation of 3,200 square feet." (according to their website) It's such a beautiful area and about a 5 hour drive from our house to this destination.  And the weather this time of the year is absolutely beautiful.  Because of the elevation, you don't get the humidity and high temperatures that we've been suffering with this summer in Maryland. Although it's pretty rural up there, it's a wonderful place to go if you really want to relax, unwind, and get away from cell phones, computer/e-mails and the mindless drone of television (which I watch very little to none of anyway), as well as the general stress of everyday life.  And if you love nature and outdoor activities like I do, this is a great place to be since there's lots of parks and trails for hiking, horseback riding, golfing, fishing and bird/wildlife watching. And I'd rather be in the mountains than any place else. I'd love to see the Rockies in Colorado and the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Someday. My husband is more of a beach/water guy, but give me mountains and the cool, shady woods.  Can't get enough of 'em.

That said, Tony and I left on Friday afternoon (had good intentions of leaving early, but you know how that goes sometimes) and we got there around 6-ish.  We had dinner at Sirianni's restaurant in Davis that I SWEAR has the best pizza on the planet! No kidding.  I can hear you saying "C'mon, best pizza...in West Virginia? No way."  It's true!  And I'm a serious pizza lover, too.  In fact, it's so good that we ate there twice over the weekend! So during dinner Tony casually mentions that he'd seen a sign advertising karaoke Fridays at Timberline resort restaurant.  Karaoke? Did you say karaoke? I LOVE karaoke! Totally love it, in fact.  I know it's corny and cheesy and all that, but what can I say? I still love it. I'm a horrible singer and I know it, but that doesn't stop me.  But that's the best part about it tho, isn't it? The worse you are, the more entertaining it is for the audience.  And the audience, in this instance were all bikers. Yep. Leather wearin', heavily tattooed, chains, the whole nine yards. A pretty rough crowd, if I must say. They were having some kind of a motorcycle rally at Timberline that weekend and all congregated in the bar/restaurant that night to party. And sing. Just like me. Tony didn't think I'd do it.  In fact, I think he was hoping I WOULDN'T do it, since he told me about a dozen times that it wasn't too late to leave if I decided to change my mind.  Of course I didn't change my mind and decided on "Coalminers Daughter" by Loretta Lynn.   I figured "when in Rome, right?"  I thought I'd be terrified at the last minute, but once the music started I never gave it a second thought.  Sure I was bad.  Horrible even. Go ahead. Doesn't hurt my feelings. But I didn't get any rotten tomatoes or beer bottles thrown at me, which I considered to be a major accomplishment.  And I had fun, which was all I wanted to do anyway.  If you're not familiar with the song, check out the video that Loretta Lynn sang in the early 70s:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eHp7JJgq8&feature=email

Saturday we went to the Tucker County Animal Shelter where I dropped off some desperately needed food and supplies for the animals.  I guess it was a good thing that Tony went with me, too (or was it?) since I came very close to falling in love with the cutest little female Jack Russell terrier that had come in 2 days earlier as a stray.  I swear I have ZERO control when it comes to animals.  But much to my dismay after my husband stood his ground, we did NOT  leave with a new puppy (Rats!).  Just dropped off the supplies, talked to the lady who runs the shelter, looked at all the dogs and cats and left. Sigh...

Sunday we went to the local ski resort where the attraction in the summer was taking a chair lift up the mountain and looking down at the valley below. Absolutely spectacular!! Once at the top of the mountain we did some hiking on the trails for about an hour (fortunately there were no bear sightings, which has been known to happen - Yikes!), took the lift back down the mountain, had an early dinner, then headed home to my BABIES!!! (the four-legged and feathered variety, that is) 2 days away from home seemed to be just the right amount of time for a get away.  I think any longer would have made me too homesick for all my animals, but I think it's important to get away every once in a while, just to recharge your batteries, see some new sights, and experience some new adventures.

10 comments:

  1. Kent Island Red - I know what you mean about having to get away. There is construction here on my apt complex that has been going on since January, inside and outside the buildings. So I'm headed to the country today to help a friend out in her gardens as she readies them for Fall planting. And hopefully I will get a dip in her pool after getting all hot and sweaty working in the gardens. Here's hoping. Glad you had a good time on R & R. Take care, from KY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a great trip. I would have totally taken home that Jack Russell!!! I am a total sucker for shelter dogs and especially Jack Russells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sitting in front of my computer and my followers changed and it was you! Thank you so much, I remember when I started and the only follower I had was my husband, I didn't think I would have any. All of this just amazes me. I love your alter ego, that is so funny. I wanted to say, I loved your Jennifer Aniston post, so right on. I like all of your pictures and everything is great! So thanks for becoming a follower and I put my dorky picture in your followers too.
    I like your chickens. Oh, and the peacocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being one of my followers too, Farm Girl! I look forward to reading your posts and following your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From another serious pizza lover.....thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!!! Your kind words lifted my spirits! (not that they were low...but now they are even higher!!)
    Bev
    Bee Haven Acres

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy, Kent Island Red! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and following. I'm #10 of your followers. I like your blog.
    Have a good weekend!
    Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by after your nice comment, I never know should I leave you one on my blog or just come here so I decided to come over here. I have thought and thought about your Jennifer Anniston post, you made such good points I was telling my husband this morning.
    Anyway, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We need one of those getaway vacations around here.
    We have a little trailer down at the pond. It doesn't have any power. We may just get away down there soon.
    Love your blog.
    Thanks for the follow and visit to mine.
    Have a great weekend.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am counting down to next weekend for a get away long awaited. Going back home to the Blue Ridge mountains of NC. Am loving your blog too! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete